Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Almost Like Being In Love

A high school jock and nerd fall in love senior year, only to part after an amazing summer of discovery to attend their respective colleges. They keep in touch at first, but then slowly drift apart.

Flash forward twenty years.

Travis and Craig both have great lives, careers and loves. But something is missing .... Travis is the first to figure it out. He's still in love with Craig, and come what may, he's going after the boy who captured his heart, even if it means forsaking his job, making a fool of himself, and entering the great unknown.


I saw this book discussed on Dear Author and it sounded like my cup of tea. Told in emails, lists, narrative... it's a charming book. And the characters are awesome.

Travis is a delightful mess. He's neurotic, a theater geek (I so relate), smart as hell and the guy who gets pushed around and called names by the jocks. Which, by the way, is taken care of by Craig in a delightful manner.

They're a delightful pair and their falling in love is sweet. You can't help but root for them.

Then the story fast forwards and the strangest thing happens. Travis decides to go after Craig, the true love who got away. But Craig has been in a 12 year relationship with Clayton and damn it all, I was rooting for the 12 year relationship to survive.

Travis was still an awesome character but there was no way that the reader could want a really terrific relationship to end.

It was the first time I didn't root for the hero even though I loved him. even Travis thought that Criag and Clayton belonged together.

What can I say? Mr. Kluger wrote the characters so well that a happy ending wasn't all that happy.

Still, I'd suggest this book as a fun read and charming as all get out. Just watch the emotional roller coaster when it comes. And I don't mean the characters, I mean yours.

1 comment:

  1. I will have to try this one; is it on our account?

    I've found an m/m book myself, or rather an m/m series. I'm trying to think how to do a report on Book III without egregious spoilers. It may not be possible ...

    ReplyDelete