Friday, April 3, 2015

Kerfluffle Me, Kerfluffle You

Yesterday I was reading this post Karen Knows Best and there was a page of tweets between Ann Somerville and another woman which linked to another page of Ann Somerville being Ann Somerville and I suddenly wondered why I was reading it.

This is something Carolyn and I have talked about, the constant tempests in romancelandia with the Authors Behaving Badly and the crazy people and those we like and follow and finally those who leave us scratching our heads and it wasn't making all that much sense to me until I was driving home...

My drive home is on the Belt Road on the island of Hawaii. On my right hand side is the Pacific Ocean, on my left hand side is a series of gulches. If you haven't seen a gulch, you don't know what you're missing. They're deep valleys with huge walls covered by trees and green growth. One has a waterfall, they're rock slide capable and they happen to be the most beautiful sights I've ever seen. I can't be more sincere when I say that every day I drive this road and I feel joy because it's that beautiful.

And then I was reading Ann Somervilles mean tweets and recognized that I have no room in my life for internet strangers affecting my emotions. Ann is Ann and she's always going to be Ann. I don't know her, I have no pony in her corral. If she's happy then bless her, if she's as unhappy as she actually seems then I wish her joy in spreading it.

Jane Litte (in my opinion) screwed up but I don't have to live with the consequences of her decisions, she does. I wish her luck and joy (and hope she pounds EC into the ground). But she's not sharing my bed or even my car ride home and why should she claim more of my time than the view of a gulch?

So with that in mind, I believe I'm moving my address out of romancelandia. I'm going to move to another neighborhood where I can be a reader and an author and Carolyn's best friend and not care about the craziness that's always erupting. If some author I never heard of wants to flame war a reader, well, on with their bad selves. I don't care. I'm done.

So hopefully with Carolyn's agreement, we're moving this blog to SanityVille where we can discuss books, television, recipes, gulches and life. There are some wonderful places we've been where crazies congregate but I think those places are done for me now.

The tempest has blown out of the teapot for me and now it's time for a cuppa.

1 comment: